Quick! While the sun is shining, enjoy this wonderful preparation of barbecued vegetables highlighting two of summers best aspects: the ubiquitous barbecue and beautiful seasonal veggies! Fast, easy, beautiful, delicious…!
2 medium zucchini
2 medium yellow squash, halved lengthwise
2 Japanese eggplants, halved lengthwise
2 medium red onions, quartered
2 medium red capsicums, stemmed, seeded, and quartered
2 medium green capsicums, stemmed, seeded, and quartered
16 cherry or small tomatoes
½ cup, plus 2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
4 cloves, garlic crushed
3 tbsp finely chopped oregano
¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat barbecue to medium high.
- Place zucchini, squash, eggplants, onions, capsicums and tomatoes in a large shallow baking dish, add ½ cup of olive oil, and toss to coat.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Shake the vegetables a bit before placing on the barbecue. Place on the barbecue and cook for 5-7 minutes with the lid open. Halfway through the cooking time, turn the vegetables and remove the tomatoes from the barbecue and put them in a large bowl.
- Cover the barbecue and cook the remaining vegetables until almost cooked through, about 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables to a cutting board and chop coarsely. Combine with the tomatoes, add the remaining olive oil, garlic, oregano and parsley, and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Note: Make sure you understand the hot spots on the barbecue and do not burn the vegetables. Rotate the vegetables as needed to cook evenly.
You can also use other fresh vegetables and fresh basil if you like.