“I love Paris in the springtime. I love Paris in the Fall…”
In my French Bistro cooking class this past week, we made this amazing Chicken Liver Mousse – the classic taste of Paris in the Fall.
Serve on crunchy Croutons as a pre-dinner nibble with a late burgundy and be transported to the boulevards of Paris.
Chicken Liver Mousse
300 gm chicken livers
3 tbsp flour
salt and pepper to taste
3 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, diced
1 apple, cored and chopped
2 garlic cloves, diced
3 tbsp triple sec
4 tsp fresh thyme leaves
100 gm cream cheese
zest of 1 orange
1 apple, sliced in crescents
1. Preheat oven to 200 C.
2. Dust the chicken livers with flour, salt and pepper and set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan and sear the livers on each side for about 3 minutes. Add the onions, apples and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes. Deglaze the pan with triple sec.
4. Place the liver mixture into the oven for 10 minutes to cook through.
5. Remove the mixture from the oven and bring to room temperature.
6. Put in a food processor with the fresh thyme, cream cheese, orange rind and pepper to taste. Blend till smooth. Add a bit more cream cheese if you want a smoother consistency.
7. Serve on croutons with a slice of apple and a bit of orange zest on each.
Note: This dish can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to 4-5 days. If you want a bolder orange flavour, add a bit more triple sec or use Cointreau.
Serves 8-10 for canapes